Scilab applied to energy consumption: measurement, simulation and energy bill cutting
By Jean-Pierre Bovée, Sanofi
Energy bill cutting is a rising a key target today for individuals as well as for large organizations. Setting up an energy bill cutting program involves 5 main steps:
- Make an energy consumption assessment
- Estimate equipment (Air Handling Units: AHU) individual consumption, using measurement as close as possible to actual sensors / actuators.
- Investigate these results and identify obvious savings opportunity
- Question tolerance values
- Question setpoints mapping across site(s) versus products
- Simulate equipment to determine other savings opportunities
- Change variable setpoints (i.e. temperature, Relative Humidiy, …)
- Enhance equipment (i.e. free cooling, motors efficieny, …) and rooms (i.e. insulation)
- Improve control strategy (i.e. predictive control)
- Further checking payback, implement selected opportunities
- Measure actual savings versus expected ones.
- Close the loop as needed.
For all of these steps Scilab delivers a powerful toolset, ranging from online measurement to consumption simulation.
Sanofi-ScilabTEC2013.pdf 2.02 MB